Friday, August 04, 2006

The Camry Robbers

I have learned long ago to accept all news report with a pinch of salt. And sometimes many pinchesby the lumpful, depending on the source. Because most times, only half truths are reported. The unfortunate part is we often get the wrong halves!

A case in point happened yesterday in USJ. One incident, three newspapers and three different stories! All appear to contradict my first hand account.

Via NST, 04 Aug 06; Police open fire at robbers’ car during chase
Via Star, 04 Aug 06; Robbers flee police pursuit
Via MM, 04 Aug 06; Fleeing robbers sideswipe cars

This was what actually happened.

I received an sms at about 4pm from SJ Alert reporting a robbery in USJ11 by 2 Malay men in a silver Camry WMN 8036.

At about 5.30pm, I saw this car outside my house, parked just across the road. It was facing the opposite direction as my car. I was on the way out to fetch my son from USJ20. The driver's side window was covered with a sunshade and I could make out some movements within. I got into my car and observed. At the same time, I also called Inspector Shan and our OrChiPD to notify them the car is now in USJ18.

Then I turned my car around to follow a little while after it moved off. The Camry made a U turn at the other end of the road. We then passed each other and I looked their direction to see what the two b*stard look like. Both wore baseball caps. The lean fella was driving while the chubby fella was at the passenger side. They made some gestures at me. I ignored them and drove on.

I drove on slowly to continue to observe. They took a parallel road and ended up following me for a while, even when I took a detour into USJ 18/1.

With Shan on the line, I told him that I will be leading the Camry out to Jalan Kewajipan towards the Police Station. He assured me that his men will be waiting near the mosque.

The Camry somehow decided not to follow me near the USJ18 surau. From this point, it sped off towards USJ17. I made a U turn and followed a distance behind it through USJ17/1 and Jalan Usaha. It then turned into USJ 16.

Shan was informed of this diversion and his men arrived in less than 5 minutes and waited at the only exit. OrChiPD also arrived at about the same time. After a short wait of about 5-10 minutes, the Camry reappeared. I heard a shot fired as it sped past the police.

The police gave chase. OrChiPD also followed while I headed off to USJ20 to fetch my son.

From what I gathered of the incident, the robbers abandoned the Camry in USJ5. They then entered a nearby house, accosted the occupants and escaped with their gold coloured Naza Ria (Reg No. NAZA 84). The driver is believed to have been injured by the gun shot.

Despite the bad publicities the police has been attracting, I witnessed some bravery and commitment from the men in blue. To this, I say BRAVO to Inspector Shan and his team from USJ 8 Balai Polis.

Some photos of the abandoned Camry here.

Please subscribe to SJ Alert. It probably saved me and someone else some grief yesterday had I not be on alert mode.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a champion!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-ditto-

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home